Thursday, January 1, 2009

Welcome 2009!

The first day of a new year. Feels fresh. Feels exciting. Feels about 15 pounds heavier than the first day of 2008.

As with all January 1st posts, as regulated by the Blogger By-laws, here are my New Year's resolutions. I always pick three, because... well, you know.

1. Lose weight/get healthier
2. Take complete control of our family's financial situation
3. Write more

Number one was well under way, and then my bride made blueberry muffins for breakfast. But tomorrow, I'll start. Really. I even downloaded an app for my iPhone to make it apparent in pretty flashing lights and graphics how I'm progressing towards my goal.

I am happy to say that I started on #2 in December and have been looking forward to today as the official start of my new obsessive-compulsive, miserly ways. With apologies to Paulson and ZimbabweBen, the Devers Family will not be adding much liquidity to the market in 2009.

Which brings us to number three. I originally had it as "Write more fiction", but I think the simple "Write more" is better.

2008 was a good new beginning with writing for me. I started and finished an 8,000+ word short story and built a detailed outline for my current WIP. On that, I breezed through the first fifty pages before hitting a major roadblock. A conversation between two people had to take place and I didn't know how to get into it or how the protagonist could possibly defend his position. The cursor sat on the same spot on the screen for five months until I read Anne Lamott's Bird by Bird. Through the book Ms. Lamott gave me permission to write a really shitty first draft and that got me up and running again.

Along with all of the fiction work I also wrote several non-fiction pieces throughout the year for our magazine. I would really like to get a piece published in another magazine (where I'm not also the editor) some time in 2009. That goal may be a tough one with people proclaiming the death of the industry and titles that have been institutions for decades feeling the crunch. Nevertheless, I have some ideas to pitch once I finish my Gourds feature.

Those of you reading this who have experience as writers might feel inclined to say that Resolutions #2 and #3 are mutually exclusive. I'll post my reply to that later, as it's now lunch time and I need to heat up some leftover pizza.

No comments: