Thursday, January 15, 2009

...and the pants were sardonic.

The Bride and I had a chance to attend the Gourds show at Gruene Hall on Saturday night. It was a great performance by the band - they filled my happy tank to the top. While there, we ran into a couple we are friends with and I mentioned to Ethan how I liked his Kenny Rogers t-shirt. He went on about it a little, so I asked him what he thought of my Waylon Jennings tee.

"Waylon Jennings is pretty cool, but I'm wearing my t-shirt ironically."

Ironically? Really? I didn't know clothes could do that. I didn't give up my Garanimals tags without a fight and now I have to worry about the subtext of my clothes?

I saw the Kenny Rogers tee on the rack before Christmas - at Wal-Mart for eight bucks. Does the fact that he's wearing a mass-produced tee only costing $8 increase the irony or does it make his intended statement ironic itself? I can only pose these questions as I'm not fashion-forward enough to answer them.

Then last night a friend of mine wore a tuxedo t-shirt during his band's appearance on the Late Show with David Letterman. "What was he thinking?" was my initial reaction, but then Ethan's voice whispered in my brain, "Dude, he's wearing it ironically".

I wonder if Dave knew.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's hilarious.