Monday, June 23, 2008

I have a big "but" problem

No amount of exercise is going to fix this.

In reading through the previous days work in order to launch into the new material, I found that I had been unable to get through a single paragraph without at least one "but" sentence. The stinkiest weed was one paragraph consisting of three sentences constructed as "here's one point, but here's the counterpoint." Blech!

I recently read a query critique where the agent said something along the lines of "was there a big box of 'so', 'but', and 'however' on sale?". It stings a little to discover I'm less creative than that. At least the query person had some chocolate and strawberry to go along with their vanilla.

I suppose it was a crutch I was unaware I relied on so heavily. Being aware has improved my subsequent writing, and now every "but"-constructed sentence screams out at me from the page as if it were written in red.

I make it a point not to revise the WIP until the first draft is complete, and I'm sticking to it. There may be a yellow legal pad somewhere in my office that has "Revision List" scribbled at the top and "fix yer buts" scrawled below it, but that's not really the same is it?

Dammit! I did it again.

No comments: