Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Character Voice

0 words today on my WIP novel. There was a Law & Order marathon on TNT (please tell me you saw that one coming).

The truth is my next paragraph in the book introduces a major supporting character. I had a good idea of her voice, but I spent a lot of my writing time today refining it. Now I can hear her in my head as clear as a bell. All of her habits and mannerisms are well-defined. I'm sure as we progress through the book she'll let me know where I didn't get it quite right, but the foundation is solid.

I do this because it annoys me to no end to read a book where everyone speaks with the same voice. I do not want to create a world where everyone says "to-may-to" and no one says "to-mah-to".

I also finally figured out the hook to get into the CD review that remains overdue at the day job. It should be finished before noon tomorrow. Only two days late. Or three. Who's counting?

No comments: